Attendance Allowance is one of the most beneficial allowance provided by UK Government. This allowance leads to the payment for the people aged 60 or more or the people who need care. The category of care derives in different sections, i.e., person needs help in daily living, and needs someone who should look after him/her. One most important point to remember in this section, you have to show that you really need help.
During Attendance Allowance, you can get up to £55.65 or £83.10 for a week. As you are physically and mentally disabled, and you are above 65 aged, you really need this. This disability can be specified as different types of illness, like, sight impairments, hearing impairments, mental health issue, and many more. It does not cover the mobility needs.
Attendance Allowance Eligibility Criteria:
There are certain criteria to avail Attendance Allowance provided by the UK Government. If you are more than 65 years old and you really need special care, you can apply for it if:
- Serious physical ability, such as, blindness, unable to walk, etc.
- Must have more than 65 years old.
- Severe mental disability, such as, memory loss, learning difficulties, etc. which can cost you and someone others a huge loss. In that case, you can apply for the same for the sake of your and other’s safety.
There are also certain required conditions to be taken into consideration before applying for Attendance Allowance.
- While applying or claiming for this allowance, you must be in Great Britain. There are some sorts of exceptions for Armed Force families.
- You must have been in Great Britain for last 2 years of last 3 years. If you are a refugee, or have a humanitarian protection status, you cannot apply for this.
- You must be a habitually resident in United Kingdom.
- No issues related to immigration control.
- This allowance is applicable for England, Wales, Northern Island and Scotland residents.
You might get a letter to join the assessment test to prove your eligibility criteria after applying for attendance allowance. The assessment venue must have been mentioned in that letter. The following documents can be required at the time of your eligibility verification:
- Birth Certificate
- Driving License
- Bank Statements
- Life Insurance Policy
How much will you get in Attendance Allowance?
As per the UK Government norms, Attendance Allowance is being paid in two different rates.
- The lower rate is £65 for a week.
- The higher rate is £10 for a week.
Both rates can be claim if you need frequent care throughout the day and night. There is no limit to spend attendance allowance. But during spending time, do not spend it on someone who is looking after you. The regular attendance allowance receivers usually get Christmas Bonus of £10 every year. You do not have to claim for this bonus. It will be automatically paid to you.
If you need to clam for Attendance Allowance, kindly consult with Nexa Accountants to get to know about proper procedure.